Junior Staff Application 2020
Please copy these questions to an email and then address all of them. Send your email application to both Grace (GraceLlewellyn@gmail.com) and Margie (firstname.lastname@example.org) with this subject line (spelled correctly so we can easily search our inboxes): “[Yourfirstname Yourlastname] Junior Staff Application 2020.” Applications are due February 29. Thank you for applying!
1) Your full name, any nicknames you’ve consistently used at camp, pronouns you’d like us to use when referring to you, age as of August 10 2020, birthdate, and what sessions (and years) you have attended NBTSC as a camper (if any).
2) Which session(s) do you prefer to work?
3) Are there any sessions for which you are definitely unavailable? Which?
4) Describe your skills and experience in the following areas.
- Cooking or food preparation (especially for large groups):
- Kitchen cleanup, dishwashing (especially in large or industrial kitchens)
- Logistical expertise and experience (planning or coordinating events, keeping track of details, delegating, keeping track of money, etc.)
- Health support of any kind, formal or informal (In Oregon we now sometimes ask a junior staffer to help our health-support staff team. If you are applying for Vermont only, you don’t need to address this.)
5) Travel logistics and support:
- Do you think you would do a good job of supervising a bus or van ride and helping people to get on their planes, trains, etc.?
- How about getting them organized on the first day of camp, in order to get on buses or vans?
- Any relevant experience or personal qualities?
- Have you traveled frequently yourself?
- Would you do a good job of communicating with worried or confused parents?
6) Driving questions:
- Do you have a valid drivers’ license?
- When were you first licensed to drive?
- If you don’t have a license now, do you expect to by the start of NBTSC this year?
- Have you been in any accidents, when you were driving? If so, please explain thoroughly and give the date(s).
- Have you received any traffic tickets in the past 3 years? If so, please briefly describe each one and give approximate dates.
- Are you willing to run errands for NBTSC? (You wouldn’t necessarily need your own car to do this. Also, we do not assign junior staff to drive campers.)
7) Certifications: Are you certified in any of the following? If so, please give expiration dates.
- First aid
- Advanced first aid
- wilderness first responder
- American Red Cross lifeguard
- other lifeguard certification
- anything else relevant to NBTSC?
If not certified in any/all of the above, are you willing to get certified (at your own expense) in any before NBTSC? Which? (We may count on you to follow through, so think before you respond.)
8) Have you thoroughly read this year’s Junior Staff Information? Do you anticipate having any difficulties with anything described there?
- What will make you a strong peer advisor and role model to campers who are your own age and near your own age (as well as much younger)?
- What difficulties and challenges do you foresee in stepping into this role at NBTSC?
- How will you engage your responsibility to communicate openly and honestly with NBTSC senior staff regarding anything problematic (like agreement breaking) that you might become aware of? (We are very interested in your response to this question, so take your time.)
10) Diversity, inclusion, welcoming everybody:
NBTSC values diversity and inclusivity, and seeks to be a place where people of all identities feel truly and deeply welcome. We are interested in your perspective on this – please share any personal experience, vision, or intention that you would bring to camp in your role as junior staffer. (Also please share any related work history or personal projects.)
11) What other skills, experiences, or qualities do you have that would make you a helpful junior staffer?
12) What do you expect to be most challenging about working junior staff? What personal weaknesses or difficulties might you need to be mindful of or compensate for?
13) Why do you want to work at NBTSC?
14) Any other reason we should choose you?
15) Name 2 people we can contact for references. Include their phone numbers and email addresses, and briefly explain your relationship to them.
16) We often (but not always) assign each junior staffer to a specific role—assistant cook, assistant to the dish staffer, logistical assistant, or (in Oregon) assistant to health staff.
- Which would you prefer, and why?
- Would any of these positions be unacceptable to you?
17) Anything else you want us to know?